A media list is like the holy grail in public relations. It shows who we have relationships and who we want to have relationships with. It is a living document that needs attention daily. A great media list takes years to build. It is not something that you can just purchase.
Services like Cision are great places to start, but do not make this the only place you do your list building. How do you keep your media list up-to-date? We’ve got a few tips for you!
- The Spreadsheet. Before you go any further, how is your media list organized? Spend a few minutes organizing and cleaning up your list. This includes making sure your list is in all the same fonts, same size font, listed in alphabetical order by publication.
- Your Emails. Go through all of your emails. Verify that all the media and influencers you have been engaging with are on your media list.
- Past Media Coverage. Now it is time to take a look back at all the media coverage you have received. Is everyone that has written about you on this list? If not, add them.
- Current industry news. Do you subscribe to the email newsletters of the publications you want covering your brand? Have you added those writers to your list? Each day, as you are reading these newsletters make note of the author. Would this author benefit from knowing your company? If so, add them immediately to your list.
- Make it a daily habit. Spending as little as 15 minutes each day or an hour a week is a great practice for keeping your media list updated. This will ensure that you are not forgetting to email an important contact when you are pitching out your news.
Your brand’s media and influencer list is one of its most important business tools you have. Make sure everyone that should be getting your news does, and build an ever-growing list of brand advocates.